Sleep — Why You Need It and 54 Ways to Improve It
Story at-a-glance –
- Estimates suggest 1 in 3 Americans gets less than seven hours of sleep a night and more than 83 million adults in the U.S. are sleep-deprived
- Wakefulness is associated with mitochondrial stress and without sufficient sleep neuron degeneration sets in, which can lead to dementia.
- When you upset your circadian rhythm, the results cascade through your system, raising blood pressure, deregulating hunger hormones and blood sugar, increasing the expression of genes associated with inflammation, immune excitability, diabetes, cancer risk and stress and much more.
- During sleep, your brain pulls together and extracts meaning from the day’s events, thereby fostering insight into the workings of your life. Sleep increases your ability to gain insights which would otherwise remain elusive.
- Adults need seven to nine hours of sleep per night for optimal health.
Included in this fantastic article by Dr Mercola are 54 tips and tricks to help improve the quality and quantity of your sleep